This past weekend we took a day trip to an apple/pear orchard. We met up with our best buds over at the Little House Of Veggies to pick some of nature's bounty. It was so much fun! I think it is so important for us city folk to be able to show our children where their food comes from. And there is something to be said about letting loose and getting your hands a little dirty. My 3 year old took it to the extreme, though. He had dirt everywhere... even his mouth. He looked like he just walked off the Pirates of the Caribbean set. Anyway, it was a great time... dirt included!
I wanted to make something with our apples and pears that the kids could help me make. We came up with this perfect afternoon snack. It is easy, simple, and delicious!
Fresh Picked Apple And Pear Salsa
1 pear, finely chopped
1 apple, finely chopped
1 nectarine, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons coconut milk
1. Combine ingredients except coconut milk in a bowl.
2. Transfer into serving dish and drizzle with the coconut milk.
Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Quarters
4 whole wheat tortillas
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
coconut oil or oil of your choice
1. Mix the cinnamon and sugar.
2. Brush a small amount of coconut oil on each tortilla and sprinkle one side with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
3. Using a pizza cutter, slice the tortilla into quarters and lay them out on a cookie sheet.
4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 8 minutes or until they are crispy.