TVP(Textured Vegetable Protein) is an amazing product. It is a great source of lean protein as well as fiber. I thought it would be the best protein to use in my 'meatless' balls because of it's texture and it's ability to take on flavors... AND I think that there are some amazing flavors going on! I layered the flavors so the 'meatless' ball alone packs a lot of punch, and then when combined with the teriyaki sauce, bell pepper, onion and pineapple it's even better! I also just LOVE teriyaki sauce, so you could put that on just about anything and I would be a fan!
1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
1/8 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
3/4 cup Textured Vegetable Protein (I use Bob's Red Mill brand)
3/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup oats
3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal + 2 tablespoons of water, mixed
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 tablespoons safflower oil
2 cups pineapple 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 red onion, cut into 1 1/2 inch squares
2 green bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch squares
1/2 cup of your favorite Teriyaki sauce
1. Add boiling water to the TVP and allow it to sit for 15 minutes.
2. In a bowl, mix onion, garlic, ginger, oats, white whole wheat flour, brown sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, red pepper, cilantro and the flaxseed/water mixture.
3. Add the rehydrated TVP to the mixture from Step 2. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
4. After the 20 minutes is up, roll the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls.
5. Heat safflower oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
6. Add the balls a few at a time and cook them until the outside is browned. They can be fragile, so be careful as you turn them in the pan.
7. Once they are browned, set them aside until they have all been browned.
8. Place the 'meatless' balls in a 9x13 pan.
9. Brush them with your favorite teriyaki sauce and put a toothpick through each one.
10. Add a bell pepper square, a red onion and a pineapple cube to each toothpick and drizzle with teriyaki sauce.
11. Bake in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 15 minutes.
12. Serve over rice and enjoy!
(For an easy, semi-homemade version, you could buy pre-made 'meatless' balls and then skip to Steps 9-12.)