I've had some saffron threads burning a hole in my spice cupboard. I finally figured out what I wanted to make with them and wanted to share the flavorful experience with my parents. When I told my mom I was making vegan saffron cupcakes I immediately saw a look of worry on her face. I think saffron is most often associated with savory dishes, but this spice works surprisingly well in desserts. The smell of these cupcakes cooking was amazing, and they definitely lived up to their heavenly aroma!
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1 cup lite coconut milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup white flour
1. In a small pan, cook saffron threads and coconut milk over medium/low heat for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients and the coconut and saffron mixture and combine.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
5. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 18-20 minutes. Check for done-ness by inserting a toothpick in the center of one of the cupcakes and if it comes out clean, it is done.
Coconut 'Cream Cheese' Frosting
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup vegan 'cream cheese'
1. Cream together the shortening and Earth Balance.
2. Add sugar and mix well.
3. Add remaining ingredients and continue to mix until smooth.