Dr. J's family owns a pistachio farm in central California. And it seems like there is a never ending supply in our cupboards... especially around the holidays. The bummer is, I'm actually allergic to them. When I was about 4 years old, after opening all our presents on Christmas Day, my mom and dad found me red faced with my hands in the pistachio nuts. Now, my face wasn't red because I was caught, I was actually having an allergic reaction. I stayed away from pistachio's altogether until Dr. J and I were on our honeymoon and we ordered a dessert that had them in it. I actually didn't have an allergic reaction to them, and it's a good thing because a trip to the ER is the last thing you want to be doing on your honeymoon! I still don't eat them often or in large quantities, but once in a while, who could resist having them! So, my 'once in a while' was in the form of a pistachio sugar cookie.... and what a great 'once in a while' they turned out to be! Yum!
1/2 cup Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
3/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
3 teaspoons EnerG Egg Replacer
4 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raw pistachio nuts, shelled and chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
1. In a small bowl, combine the EnerG Egg Replacer and the water.
2. Add in the remaining wet ingredients and mix well.
3. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
4. Add the wet to the dry and mix to combine.
5. Form the dough into balls. I rolled them in some evaporated cane sugar to give them a little sparkle and topped them with a pistachio.
6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 8-10 minutes.