Unfortunately, I am not one of those women who manage to make it through a pregnancy without experiencing morning sickness. In fact, it hits me pretty hard, and trust me I tried everything and anything in attempts to lessen the nausea. Nothing was the cure-all. However, once I was past the worst of it, I did try to incorporate ginger into my diet. It just seemed to settle my tummy. Throughout my most recent pregnancy I made these ginger cookies a lot. They are soft in the middle and crunchy on the outside and the ginger flavor really stands out. So, if you are pregnant, or you just like ginger, give these cookies a try!
2 1/4 cups whole grain pastry flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup vegan margarine
1 cup turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup turbinado sugar for the tops of cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream together margarine and sugar.
3. Add vanilla, applesauce, molasses, ginger, cloves, water and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
4. In a separate bowl mix the salt, baking soda and flour.
5. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
6. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and dip half the ball in turbinado sugar.
7. Places the dough sugar-side up on cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 11-13 minutes.