Crepes are a staple in our home. Be it for a meal or dessert, my husband seizes every opportunity to whip up a batch. I think that crepe making takes a great amount of patience and a steady hand. I do not posses these talents, but my husband does, so here is his recipe. It's a vegan version of one of his favorite recipes from TV Chef, Alton Brown. You can find Alton's recipe here.
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons vegan butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup flour
1. Melt butter and put in a blender.
2. Add all other ingredients except the flour and pulse in blender for 10 seconds.
3. Add the flour and pulse for 10 seconds.
4. Scrape the sides of the blender with a spatula and pulse for another 20 seconds.
5. Put batter in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
6. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium.
7. Dip a paper towel in 2 tablespoons of melted vegan butter and lightly coat the pan.
8. Pour batter in pan to make a 5-6 inch crepe. Lift the skillet and swirl to spread evenly.
9. Cook 30-40 seconds on the 1st side and then flip and cook 10-20 seconds on the 2nd side.
10. Remove the crepe and lay flat on a cutting board to cool.
Strawberries and 'Cream'
3 cups fresh strawberries (frozen will work as well)
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup vegan sour cream (I use the Tofutti brand)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1. In a small bowl, mix vegan sour cream, honey and powdered sugar and mix until well combined. Set aside
2. Put remaining ingredients in a pot over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
3. Use a potato masher and roughly mash the strawberries.
4. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes.
Fill crepes with equal amounts of strawberries and cream down the center and gently fold the sides over. Lightly dust with powdered sugar.