Friday, July 9, 2010

Thai Red Curry 'Chik'n' And Vegetables

My family loves this meal.  It's sweet and spicy and just plain satisfying.  I love all the colors from the red onion, bell peppers and zucchini.  And just wait until you start cooking and all of the aromatics get going!  This dish is what my 91 year old grandmother would call, "Food for the Gods".

(This recipe easily serves 6 people, with some leftovers.)

Ingredients
1 large red onion, sliced
2 red bell peppers, sliced
2 yellow bell peppers, sliced
2 zucchini, sliced in rounds
1 cup cilantro, chopped
juice from 1/2 lime
2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon red curry paste, found in the Asian foods section of your grocery store (I like the Thai Kitchen brand)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed to a paste with 2 tablespoons water
8 Quorn Naked Chik'n Breasts(or your brand of choice, plain meatless chicken), prepared as directed on package and sliced into strips
4 cups cooked Botan Calrose Rice
2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions
1.  Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2.  Add garlic, onions and red curry paste.  Cook until onions are translucent.
3.  Add the red curry paste and cook until aromatic.
4.  Add coconut milk, lime juice, brown sugar and cilantro and bring to a boil.
5.  Add the peppers, zucchini and salt.  Cover and reduce heat to medium.  Simmer for 10 minutes.
6.  Add the cornstarch/water mixture and stir until sauce thickens.
7.  Add your prepared 'Chik'n' and cook uncovered for about 1-2 minutes, or until your 'chik'n' is heated through again.
8.  Serve over rice.


5 comments:

Morgan-- said...

DELICIOUS! I can't wait to make this! It looks so good and healthy! I made the fruit salad last night with our dinner and I haven't made it for awhile, and I totally forgot how amazing and refreshing it is! Im putting it on my blog when I post the spring rolls I made to go with it, I will link over to your blog. That salad is just heaven on a plate to me!Cant wait to try this one out!

The Brad Walton Family said...

This dish looks so tasty.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make it for sure....the recipe list doesn't show the amount for garlic though.

Elise said...

Ooops! Glad you caught that. I used 2 cloves of garlic.

Valerie7186 said...

I finally got a chance to make this last night! It was soo good! I posted a blog about it this morning. Thanks for sharing!