Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Carrot Walnut Chocolate Chip Muffins

I think it's safe to say I'm on a muffin kick.  These were a hit with Picky Eater #1(my 5 year old).  Of course I just told her they were chocolate chip muffins.  I feel so sneaky that I got her to eat her carrots without her even knowing it... and before lunch!

Ingredients
1 cup fresh carrot juice
3/4 cup almond milk
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground flax seed meal
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 
2.  In a bowl, combine carrot juice, almond milk, applesauce, vanilla extract, sugar, and ground flax seed meal.
3.  In a separate bowl combine whole wheat pastry flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4.  Slowly add dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir until combined.
5.  Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray and fill each cup 3/4 full with the batter.
6.  Bake for 15 minutes.


3 comments:

Morgan-- said...

These look so good! I love how you used fresh carrot juice in them!!!!! I haven't ever thought to do that. You know me and the carrot juice, haha
I can't wait to try them!

Heather @ Gerber Days said...

These look amazing! I LOVE anything carrot flavor! The ingredients look so healthy too.

The Brad Walton Family said...

These muffins not only look so yummy, but they are healthy too. I agree with both Morgan & Heather, I love that you added carrot juice. I am excited to make these. Thanks for another great recipe. Did you see my recipe on the raw mango, peach & blueberry crisp. You have to make this for your family, it was amazing:)