Up in the beautiful Teton Valley, located in Idaho, my Great Uncle Del lived for most of his life. He was a retired Air Force pilot, who spent the last 30 years of his life farming the beautiful landscape which he and my Grandfather had grown up on. Every summer as a child, my family would go up to the valley to spend a month at our cabin which was next door to his farm. I would walk over with my dad and play with his kittens while he and my dad spent hours visiting. Flax seed was one of the things that he swore by. I remember him passionately telling my dad how amazing this plant food was. Now that I am grown, I share his enthusiasm. Filled with Omega 3's and fiber, it has a powerful punch! So, in honor of Uncle Del, here are some of my very favorite muffins with a little flax seed hidden within.
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup almonds, slivered
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
2. In a medium bowl, combine orange juice, almond milk, flaxseed meal, applesauce, and vanilla.
3. Make a well in the bowl of dry ingredients and add liquid. Stir to combine.
4. Fold in cranberries and almonds.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, or spoon directly into greased muffin pan. Fill each cup 3/4 full.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Allow muffins to cool before removing them from tin.